NEW BLOG HEADER SIZE

Monday

Washing Your Synthetic Wig

I have to admit that I've been a bit worried about washing my wig. I have had this pink wig since about June or July 2013 and I have been wearing it A LOT. This wig traveled with me to New York City and back- it's been worn to a wedding and countless photo shoots. Needless to say, I've washed my wig cap frequently- but this was the first time I washed my wig. It's very important to remember what your wig can handle. Mine is synthetic (plastic) so I can't use any heat on it. I soaked it in the bathtub in cold water and didn't try using any shampoos or conditioners on it. I soaked it for a good hour and it really helped a lot! It's ok to hang it on a pants hanger with clips for it to dry. Make sure you don't use hot water if your wig is synthetic- it won't be able to handle the heat! You can, however, disinfect it with Isoprophyl Alcohol in a spray bottle. Don't use too much- it could potentially fade the color. Make sure to soak the wig in cold water after disinfecting. 
syeYiX on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs
It's pretty simple, but I would like to hear about other ways to clean synthetic wigs, too! I had also dropped this wig in some mud and the dirt just came off in the bathtub... not harmed! Do you know of any tips for cleaning synthetic wigs, too? How about styling them?
love, polly

3 comments:

Viva La DIY said...

Your wigs are so lovely! I contemplate on investing in one, maybe someday I will.
I once had Yaki fiber extensions. Since it much like real hair, it was easy maintenance and was able to dye, style and wash it w/o any concerns. Other than that, I do not have much experience with synthetic hair. Well perhaps if I consider barbie's hair dating back to my childhood years... I remember ever so often I'd give my dolls a vinegar hair rinse every so often to kept them nice and clean. :]
♡ Dulce

Purple said...

I've been really wanting to buy wigs for myself, but I don't really know what to look for or where to find it. At least now I know what to do if I ever get one and wash it c:

Black Sunshine said...

I've washed mine using some diluted shampoo, rinsed well and it came out fine and clean :)