NEW BLOG HEADER SIZE

Thursday

Movie of the week: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

So, one of my big goals for the new year is to start watching more movies. Another is to bring back Movie of the Week on my blog. In doing this, I realized that I had never posted ESOTSM as the Movie of the Week because it was always kind of... "implied" that it is always the movie of the week. Let me explain myself...................
Over the years, this film has inspired me in ways I never knew possible. People told me that I looked like Clementine, that I acted like her, that I was sparatic like her, the whole bit. I loved her character desperately and still think she is the most beautiful character ever portrayed. I became her in a sense. I dyed my hair like her, I learned how to play all the theme songs on piano, I dyed a sweatshirt orange, got a tattoo for the film, and here comes the best part: I found a boy like Joel. It was all seeming to fall into place. I would watch Eternal Sunshine almost every day for a month. Then every week at least. I got to know each and every little detail about the film, and I lived inside their world. 
This wasn't a real world, though. It was a lingering response to something unreal; something that never could have been... something I wanted desperately. I found myself relating back to my childhood and remembering how simple it was. I wanted it back and I felt betrayed by my adult life at the time. I also wanted to erase other painful relationships of the past much like this film. I thought- how happy would I be without the blemishes of the past? To have a spotless mind is eternal sunshine.... truly.
Do I want to run away from reality? Sure, I do. It seems as if I always have. This is another huge reason why blogging is so appealing to me: it's like creating your own world. Living inside of a dream that was Eternal Sunshine is what I became known for... I became Clementine for a short while. 

I must tell you that I got my Eternal Sunshine tattoo when I was single. I wouldn't have it any other way. The poem is written by Alexander Pope in 1717 and it's titled, "Eloisa to Abelard." It inspired the film and is recited during the Elephant Parade Scene
I hope I've finally explained my obsession with this film in it's entirety and no questions remain... but if you are still wondering something, please leave a comment and I will answer it.
love, polly

13 comments:

b. said...

I absolutely love this movie. It's just so beautiful and raw. I even found myself relating to Joel at some moments when he was just so recluse and withdrawn, great movie! :)

> http://geebambino.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

aww this is quite deep...what happened to your "joel"? i love this movie as well..i think i went to see it about 5 times when it came out..i was really heartbroken at the time and the movie really spoke to me... i havent watched it for years..
x

Paulie Antiques said...

We had a messy break up like the film because I also broke up with him completely on a whim. We became good friends after, though :)

Anupriya DG said...

Beautiful films often tend to impress us in more than one ways & make a mark on our lives.......it is really a great movie & a must-watch! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this film! I never heard of it until my Film and Literature class. I understand how you would want to have everything be just like the movie and start doing everything and looking for things just like the film. I guess we have to go through things to learn.I love your blog and reading everything that you have to say.

Now, I'm glad your happy with your relationship now and everything seem to be going swell for you :D

Can't wait to read your letter, Polly <3

Marja!

Marisa Noelle said...

One of the most beautiful movies ever made. I remember feeling the same way when I saw it for the first time...I had recently come out of similar, very messy, very painful relationship/place and it was all so very moving to me. I think I need to watch it again as it's been a little while. Your post is incredibly moving as well. I admire your free spirit Polly.

The Beatniq said...

This movie looks really good. I'm going to have to check it out now.

April said...

I didn't see this movie until last year, but only lately I've been drawn to it, must like you! I dyed my hair blue after watching it the other day. Love the way you described your love of the movie. It's so beautiful! <3

LolaDee said...

We all want to run away from reality at times. Sometimes the little world we build in our heads can be so much more appealing. I haven't seen this movie yet, but definitely gonna watch it soon.

LolaDee
www.loladee.com

Miranda said...

I think it's very important to have something that is always a source of comfort and inspiration- a movie, a book, a picture... I completely understand how this movie is so important to you! :)

Holly said...

Also...

When I was with "Joel" we went to a flee market and found a old copy of a Bartlett's! I thought it was fate.

Unknown said...

I love this movie too! I kind of felt a connection with Inception. I felt like I was escaping reality through dreams like Leo's character was, trying to hold onto memories that way. It's weird what kind of movies we will connect with, but I guess if we watch them at a certain time in our lives, it makes all the difference.

Suzanne
A Coin For the Well

Tamizh said...

Great site about eternal life. Thanks for sharing information about is immortality possible