NEW BLOG HEADER SIZE

Thursday

Wayne Thiebaud

Last semester I spent an exorbitant amount of time in the Southern Illinois University of Edwardsville art & design building. My painting teacher seemed to be particularly enthralled with this painter. I soon understood why and he quickly became one of my all time favorite artists. 
Wayne was born November 15, 1920 and is an American painter whose most famous works are of cakespastriesboots,toiletstoys and lipsticks. His last name is pronounced "Tee-bo." He is associated with the Pop art movement because of his interest in objects of mass culture, although his works, executed during the fifties and sixties, slightly predate the works of the classic pop artists. Thiebaud uses heavy pigment and exaggerated colors to depict his subjects, and the well-defined shadows characteristic of advertisements are almost always included in his work. (Wiki)


He specializes in oil painting on canvas. You can't help but be enthralled!

I love this painting especially. The reflections, colors, and the way ordinary objects seemed to be "arranged" in rows, columns, and diagonals seems to be consistent throughout Thiebaud's work.
 Obviously food is also a reoccurring theme..
I LOVE this one. Watermelon is a very interesting fruit to paint! I should try it very soon! The black seeds would be very fun! I love his use of color with the shadows.. just beautiful. A totally unique style.
have a lovely Thursday!
I'm at my favorite place eating a blueberry & banana milkshake right now, Marry Ann's in Champaign! :)
love, polly :)

15 comments:

Christina said...

Oh, I looove this idea for a blog post! What a great artist to share! I think I may have to share a few of my own faves soon on my blog... thanks for the inspiration girly! :) (Also liking the new layout!)

-Christina
http://alittlesillysock.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have seen that lines of pies painting before but didn't know who it was by. this is sweet. One of the best things about art class is discovering different artist who know how to do things right. haha. thanks for sharing!

Elia Love

Kaya said...

I like his works and his kind of painting... never heard about him, and yah he's really inspiring:)espeacially the sujets:))

gee said...

being once an art major myself i love this post. i really loove that lipstick painting..beautiful.
oh how i miss art history classes...learning about new artist present and past.
thanks for the great post.
xoox

ps. no luck in the plaid dress department. i always seem to fall in love with the ones on etsy that are always a size XS..def not going to fit into them. :)

Ashley/ MILK TEETHS said...

his work makes me smile, thanks for the intro! I especially love his ice cream pieces :)

xx
MILK TEETHS

Amber said...

i love food paintings, i think its a hard medium to paint and give personality to but he does

Isquisofrenia said...

i love blueberry too
i eat anything that has bberry and you look lovely!

Caroline Ergy Erg said...

Oooo, those paintings are just so yummy and colourful :D xxxxxx

Lane said...

Hey, I've got a bit of a giveaway going on...I need help picking a name for my web design business, it's a lot harder than it sounds haha! But if I end up picking your idea for the name then I'll give you a full blog makeover for fffffree!

mylovelylittlesuitcase.blogspot.com

Margaret said...

these are fantastic!!!
great blog!
loving the posts
stop by some time xx
take a peek at my giveaway while you're at it!

MySpecialAgent said...

I love the gumball machines. It's weird, but gumball machines remind me of my grandpa so I can't help but smile when I see one.

danielle said...

his art is beautiful. and that that shake sounds yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I love his work. All of these Pictures are absolutely beautiful!:)
Thank you so much for sharing this.
xx, Alice from bells and whistles

Josephine said...

Oh how I love this!
Love all the paintings, it's so beautiful
How I wish I could do art agains, I do miss it

Anonymous said...

Polly what's your email add? I wanted to email you something.

Love from Toronto, Canada