NEW BLOG HEADER SIZE

Thursday

1 year 4 months vegetarian guest post recipe!

Vegetable Chilli Pot Recipe
Hello, my nom de plume in the blog world is mangocheeks. I have been asked by the lovely Polly to write a guest post for her blog. Well, like a friend invited to a party, instead of bringing along cake or a bottle of bubbly to celebrate, I bring with me all the way from Scotland a spicy pot of 'Vegetable Chilli' to share. 

My blog, allotment2kitchen, began initially to record my antics at the allotment plot. It was an affordable way to grow some of my own organic vegetables.  However, due to unforeseen circumstances last year I lost my plot in a fire, so I now try to grow what I can in my tiny garden plot, containers and pots. This is now heavily supplemented with local and seasonal produce. I am even dipping my little toes into foraging for free ‘wild food’ such as wild garlic and rosehips.  Anyway, after growing my own vegetables, I was motivated to find creative ways of cooking and eating them.  I have been inspired by the many diverse 'ethnic' world cuisines and have learned over the years that vegetables are not boring, they are extremely versatile.  In order to make vegetables appeal to your palette, you just need to open your mind and be creative with them and this can be done by enhancing their natural flavours with herbs and spices. My recipes are always vegetarian and many of them are suitable for vegans.
Vegetable Chilli Pot
(Serves 4 – 6)
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
3 – 4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon oregano
1 – 2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon unsmoked paprika
2 cans mixed beans, drained and rinsed
1 x 400g can tomatoes, chopped
300g Chantenay or baby carrots, whole and unpeeled
250g chestnut mushrooms, chopped in half if large
150g sweetcorn, frozen or canned
2 cans mixed beans, drained and rinsed
400ml boiling water

To serve: Fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Soured cream or cheddar cheese, grated

Method: In a large pan with a lid, heat he oil and then fry the onion with the garlic until soft.  Add the spices and dry fry for a couple of minutes or until the spice aroma arises from the pan.  Then add in the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes for the flavours to mingle.  Add the carrots, mushrooms, beans and sweetcorn and water and bring to a boil.  Cover the pan and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for around 30 minutes or until the vegetables are bender.  Check after 15 minutes or so if the sauce is a little thin uncover for the remaining cooking time to thicken.  Serve with scattering of coriander and sour cream and cheese.
One of the impacts of growing my own vegetables was I learned to appreciate the seasonality of vegetables.  This isn’t always easy, especially around the winter season when vibrant and colourful vegetables such as tomatoes and peppers are in short supply. So when winter comes, I rely heavily on my store cupboards that are piled high with dried goods (beans, lentils and grains) and tins of sweetcorn, tomatoes and beans.  I know some people will only use dried beans for cooking.  There are days when I will too, especially when I have plenty of time on my hands and patience.  But there are also days, when i just want food on the table without too much fuss, so tinned beans are welcome.  The one colourful vegetable you are guaranteed to find all year round are carrots.  I picked up some seasonal Chantenay carrots for this dish, but if you can’t find these substitute with baby carrots or chop down the larger variety.  This smells and colours from this dish evoke warmth and that can only be a good thing when outside it is cold.
Thank you so much for this post! If you'd like to see more vegetarian and vegan recipes, you can visit her lovely blog, here!

9 comments:

Christina said...

ohh this looks yummy, and I'm not even vegetarian! Thanks for sharing! :o)

Vanessa said...

Yum, this looks beautiful. Perfect for us folks who are trying to fit in as many veggies as possible this year!

kimbirdy said...

the mr. and i are vegetarians. he would probably love this recipe. thanks for sharing!

Romy said...

I simply MUST try this :)

* said...

Looks very tasty. :)

Anonymous said...

mmmm... i like this. looks so nummy on a cold january night. this year i'm going vegitarian again. i did for a bit in highschool but gave up for some reason. it's only been a few days but i feel better already. next year will be vegan for me, if not before.
and yeah, 2010 was full of a lot of self discovery and demolition, haha. this year is rebuilding and i'm excited cuz i love remodeling!

Kellen said...

This looks awesome. I am going to make it soon. Three years strong vegetarian, and stoked on it. Nice post, and thanks for the recipe.

littleblackfox said...

Hello there!
I discovered (I say discovered, I mean clicked-on-a-link-to, rather than navigating the great blogger sea in search of treasures. Arr.) your blog through the lovely Mangocheeks.
And a very beautiful blog it is too.
Baxtalo!

Some Korean Website Highjacker said...

congrats polly on the year and four mark! great guest post but i was so sorry to read about the fire! gosh, that sucks total. your creation here looks super comfy food delish. and that paprika mushroom/potato pie on your site is wow too. i wish i could get my "meatarian" man to get more on board with the veg life, but alas he is a veg on the side please kinda person. ♥